orwich Cathedral was begun in 1096. In 1094 under the Norman bishop Herbert de Losinga, the site for the cathedral was moved from its temporary location at Thetford after the Norman Conquest to Norwich. Building work began in 1096 on the east end of the church and the monastery which was the home for monks brought in from Canterbury. Bishop Losinga was also responsible for work at Hereford Cathedral. Losinga did not see the cathedral finished before he died in 1119. His successors continued the work on the incomplete nave and central tower. Fire in 1170 and a local riot in 1272 that resulted in destruction of the timber roof on both occasions did not damage the main stonework and the roof was replaced both times. In 1463 the central wooden spire was struck by lightening and caught fire. It was replaced in stone.
Herbert de Losinga purchased the see (seat of the bishop) for the area around Norwich. The bishops seat was at Thetford but Herbert moved it to Norwich itself before starting the construction of a new cathedral. ¹
Lightning once again hit the wooden and lead spire at Norwich Cathedral causing a fire that spread to the roof. After this disaster stone was used in the roof to provide vaulting and used in the new spire to replace the wood. ¹
Repairs at Norwich Cathedral, because of a fire, resulted in the transept roofs being replaced by stone vaulting. ¹
3D Virtual Reconstructions
Transport yourself back up to a thousand years and explore historical buildings as they may have appeared in the past. Built using the popular game development tool Unity 3D, these reconstructions will run in the most of the popular web browsers on your desktop or laptop computer.
Uncover the lives of the hundreds of kings, queens, lords, ladies, barons, earls, archbishops and rebels who made the medieval people an exciting period of history to live through.
Selection of references used:
1. G H Cook, English Cathedrals through the centuries
2. John Harvey, English Cathedrals, 1961
3. T. Francis Bumpus, The Cathedrals of England and Wales, 1934