In 1309 Alnwick Castle was purchased by Sir Henry de Percy from Anthony Bek, the Bishop of Durham. Henry was already a wealthy landowner in Yorkshire and the addition of the estates in Northumberland made his family one of the most important in England. The Percy family were involved in incessant wars with the Scots. A large amount of rebuilding work then took place under the direction of Henry and his son, including the keep with seven sem-circular towers enclosing a small court. New gatehouses to protect the entrances and several towers around the two outer baileys were also constructed.
In 1433/4 King Henry VI granted the town of Alnwick a licence to be enclosed in a wall to help protect it from attack by the Scots. But raising funds to pay for the work proved difficult and it took many years before it was complete. Finally the wall was completed and was protected by four gates, Bondgate, Clayport, Pottergate and Narrowgate. Bondgate is the only gate that remains.
In the middle of the nineteenth century Alnwick Castle was extensively restored under the direction of two architects, Luigi Canina and Anthony Salvin. Salvin was responsible for the restoration of many castles including Warwick Castle. The exterior of the castle was skillfully restored without changing it too much while the interior was completely remodelled.
Alnwick Castle was used as a location for Hogwarts in the Harry Potter film Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.