Castle Acre Priory
astle Acre Priory was founded in around 1087 by William de Warrene, a Norman follower of William the Conqueror. Populated by monks from Lewes Priory. The monks belonged to the Cluniac Order which was founded at the abbey of Cluny in Burgundy. William had been impressed by the Order when he visited the abbey. The priory was built to the west of Castle Acre and the walled town. Being a typical monastery, the building consisted of the main church, cloisters, Chapter house, dormitories and kitchens. It also had an infirmary where the sick could be looked after. The end came in 1536 at the Dissolution of the Monasteries when the monks surrendered the priory to Henry VIII. The only major part of the priory still standing is the west of the church (shown left). Hopefully it is possible to get an idea of the splendour of the original building from this small section.