had once been a Roman fort and William the Conqueror landed near the castle in 1066. Before marching to Hastings William repaired the castle and used it to regroup his invasion force. After the Conquest William granted the castle to his half-brother Robert, Count of Mortain. Of the existing castle Robert found Roman walls 20 to 30 feet high and 10 feet in thickness. The castle was repaired and improved to such an extent that it proved to be hard to overcome. It stood up to sieges in 1088 by William Rufus and again in 1147 when King Stephen laid siege
to it until the trapped soldiers, led by Gilbert de Clare, ran out of food.
|Pevensey Castle Key Facts|
|Directions||The castle is within the village of Pevensey which is about five miles to the north-east of Eastbourne|
|Categories||Pre Medieval Stone |
|Remains||Small amount survives|
|Access to site||Only open at certain times|